Is glutamine an amino acid?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body and is involved in more metabolic processes than any other amino acid. It is also the most abundant amino acid in the blood and in the free amino acid pool of skeletal muscle. Glutamine stimulates the synthesis, and inhibits the degradation, of proteins and is an energy source for muscle cell division. Glutamine is also a precursor for the synthesis of amino acids, proteins, nucleotides, glutathione, and other biologically important molecules. Glutamine has an anabolic effect on skeletal muscle. Glutamine is especially important as a source of fuel for cells lining the intestines and for the proper functioning of white blood cells. Glutamine is utilized at higher rates by these and other rapidly dividing cells. Without glutamine, these cells will not divide properly. Glutamine is a major amino acid in most foods. In general, the higher the protein content, the higher the glutamine content. Whey protein and eggs are two particularly good sources of glutamine.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
After a stem cell transplant, why is it important to avoid public places?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After a stem cell transplant, it is important to avoid public places because the transplant leaves t...
If I have EPI, how can I give my body more fuel?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) you can give your body more fuel by eating more ...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?