Is the appendix a vestigial body organ?

The appendix appears to be a hold over from the days when our ancestors ate plants.

In other vertebrates, the appendix is larger than it is in humans and it is used to break down cellulose in plants.

In humans, the appendix is a small, withered pouch - which is attached to the intestines but is not involved in digestion. Thousands of people have their appendix removed each year and are not the worse for wear, which appears to indicate that we just do not need our appendix.

Rick Sayegh
Rick Sayegh on behalf of MDLIVE
Yes, it is a lymph organ that is not necessary for life.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
How do doctors decide if a donor is a match for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Doctors use a blood test to make sure people are a good match with their stem cell transplant donor ...
Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the sa...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?