How are stem cell transplants used in oncology?

Stem cell transplants are used in oncology to help replace the healthy cells damaged by chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Stem cells are normally found in the bone marrow. If you receive chemotherapy or radiation treatments, you may need to have more stem cells injected into your bone marrow to help your body begin to manufacture healthy blood. A stem cell transplant can help you undergo a more intense, and therefore more effective, chemotherapy or radiation schedule.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
What are some common symptoms of cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a life-threatening condition that can cause symptoms like difficulty breathi...
How is cystic fibrosis in children treated?
Treatment for cystic fibrosis (CF) focuses on clearing the lungs of mucus via antibiotics for infect...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?