How does cystic fibrosis affect my body?

The genetic mutation that results in cystic fibrosis results in extremely thick secretions in the respiratory tract, digestive system and sweat glands. This eventually leads to lung infections, difficulties with digestion and nutrition, among other complications. The abnormal sweat gland secretions may be used to diagnose this disease.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Can You Overcome Your Genetic Disposition?
Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a 2013 New York Times editorial that she had both breasts removed. The reason: a heightened risk of breast cancer ...
Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the sa...
What is the process for getting a stem cell transplant?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
After being treated with high-dose anticancer drugs and/or radiation, the patient receives the stem ...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?