How can I assess the quality of a protein?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

To assess the quality of a protein, scientists measure the proportion of the amino acids that are absorbed, retained, and used in the body to determine the protein's biological value (BV). The food source that has the highest biological value protein is whey protein. Whey is a natural by-product of the cheese-making process. Cow's milk has about 6.25 percent protein. Of that protein, 80 percent is casein (another type of protein), leaving the whey behind.

Eggs contain the second highest quality food protein known. Some people consider the egg to be a nearly perfect food. In fact, egg protein is often the standard by which all other proteins are judged.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
What are the symptoms of EPI in people with cystic fibrosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Symptoms of EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) in people with cystic fibrosis (CF) include the ...
Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the sa...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?