What happens during genetic counseling for genetic disorders?

Learn more from Dr. Peter Hulick on behalf of NorthShore University about what happens during genetic counseling for genetic disorders.

During genetic counseling, a genetic counselor will talk with you about your concerns and questions related to an increased risk for genetic conditions. The counselor will take a personal and family medical history and may perform a physical exam. If you have been diagnosed with a genetic disorder, the professional counselor will give you information about the disorder and discuss options for testing and treatment. He or she may help you make important decisions about your health but will not make those decisions for you.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
Can a telomere be repaired?
Elissa Epel, PhD, MSElissa Epel, PhD, MS
Telomeres (strings of DNA that protect chromosomes) shorten due to stress. the enzyme telomerase can...
What is Turcot syndrome?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Turcot syndrome is a rare inherited condition in which people are at increased risk of adenomatous p...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?