What is an electrolyte panel for acid-base metabolic disorder?

An electrolyte panel is a series of four tests that measure levels of bicarbonate, potassium, sodium, and chloride. With acid-base metabolic disorders, one or more of these electrolytes is usually higher or lower than normal. The electrolyte panel, along with other tests, can be used to help diagnose the type and cause of an acid-base metabolic disorder.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
Should people with cystic fibrosis (CF) exercise?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Exercise is important for people with cystic fibrosis (CF). Medicine can help, but keeping active an...
Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the sa...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?