What is an electrolyte panel for acid-base metabolic disorder?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

An electrolyte panel is a series of four tests that measure levels of bicarbonate, potassium, sodium, and chloride. With acid-base metabolic disorders, one or more of these electrolytes is usually higher or lower than normal. The electrolyte panel, along with other tests, can be used to help diagnose the type and cause of an acid-base metabolic disorder.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

What are the symptoms of EPI in people with cystic fibrosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Symptoms of EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) in people with cystic fibrosis (CF) include the ...
What are chromosomes?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
Chromosomes are organized structures of proteins and the molecule DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). Each ...
What is stem cell transplantation?
Stem cell transplantation is a procedure in which healthy stem cells are injected into a person, wit...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?