What is the difference between fraternal and identical twins?

Fraternal twins occur when two separate eggs are fertilized in the same cycle—often the result of ovarian stimulation or multiple embryo transfer during fertility treatment. Genetically, they're no more similar or different than any other siblings.

Identical twins, which account for one-third of twin births, come about when a single fertilized egg subsequently splits in two. Identical twins share the same genes, but are never truly identical.

Depending on when the embryo divides, identical twins can be completely separate, share a placenta, share a placenta and an amniotic sac, or be conjoined (Siamese).
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Genes contain DNA, the code that directs the development of cells. A mutation in a gene or a cluster of genes can cause a genetic condition or birth defect. Learn more from our experts about genetic disorders and birth defects.