What are genes?

Genes are the instructions for making human bodies, including the machines inside the body's cells. Different genes determine different things about the body, like hair and eye color, and height and build. People get genes from their parents, one set from their mother and one set from their father. That's why most people look a bit like their mother and a bit like their father.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

What causes cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Cystic fibrosisis a metabolic disorder that’s passed on from parent to child. It’s seen mostly in Ca...
How long does it take to recover after a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can take between three months and one year to recover from a stem cell transplant. During this ti...
What Happens During Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?