Should I have genetic counseling before genetic testing for breast cancer?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics

Yes, you want to meet with a genetics professional for genetic counseling before undergoing genetic testing to ensure that you are properly evaluated to determine: 1) whether you are the best candidate for genetic testing and 2) which gene to test for. While many people are aware of and want testing for the BRCA genetic testing, there are many other genes that can cause hereditary breast cancer and you want to make sure that you are being tested for the right one. Further, there are multiple medical society guidelines that recommend genetic counseling before genetic testing.

Continue Learning about Genetic Testing

FDA Approves First Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Tests
On April 6, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized 23andMe, a genetic testing service, to release Personal Genome Service Genetic Health Ri...
What do the results of genetic tests for genetic disorders mean?
The results of genetic tests can be hard to interpret. Before a person gets tested, he or she is enc...
What can I expect from genetic counseling and testing?
Carrie ProchniakCarrie Prochniak
The genetic test itself is likely the simplest part of a genetic evaluation or genetic counseling.Th...
What Can Your Genomic Technology Do If a SARS- or Avian Flu-like Illness Emerged Today?