What are the treatment options for mitochondrial diseases?

Currently there are no highly effective mitochondrial disease treatments. Though related symptoms, such as seizures or attention problems, can be managed with various medications, the mitochondrial disease itself is unchanged. Unfortunately, supplements such as coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and l-carnitine have little to no effect on most patients.

Treatment of mitochondrial diseases tends to vary with each individual and depends on the severity and organs that are affected. Proper treatment can help to reduce the severity of the symptoms and help slow the disease's progression. Treatments often include vitamin regimens, diet or enzyme therapy, and occupational or physical therapy to help maintain mobility, depending on what part of the body the disease is affecting.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Mitochondrial Disease
If there’s one thing you remember from high school biology, it’s probably this: Mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cells. It stands to reason tha...
The 4 Best Ways to Get Help for Hereditary Angioedema
If you’re living with hereditary angioedema, a condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling in the limbs, face, airways and digestive tract,...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...
How can I lower my risk of inherited health conditions?
Your inherited genes are less important than if you wear out your jeans with physical activity. ...