What is the prognosis for Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Prognosis for patients with ALD is generally poor due to progressive neurological deterioration. Death usually occurs within one to 10 years after the onset of symptoms.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Self-Care for Parents of Children with Neurofibromatosis
Having a child with a chronic medical condition can be overwhelming for parents. While it may be difficult to leave your child’s side, it’s important ...
What is Peutz-Jegher’s syndrome?
Sharecare Advisory BoardSharecare Advisory Board
People with Peutz-Jegher’s syndrome (a rare inherited condition) tend to have freckles around the mo...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...
What is a urea cycle disorder (UCD)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A urea cycle disorder (UCD) is a problem with how the liver handles protein. With a UCD, enzymes in ...