What is acoustic neurofibromatosis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Acoustic neurofibromatosis is a genetic condition in which tumors form on the nerves of the inner ear and cause loss of hearing and balance. Tumors may also occur in the brain and on nerves in the skull and spinal cord, and may cause loss of speech, eye movement, and the ability to swallow. Also called neurofibromatosis type 2 and NF2.

This answer is based on source information from the U.S National Institutes of Health.  

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

5 Resources for People with Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a group of rare genetic disorders that interfere with the nervous system’s ability to send signals to muscles. This c...
How can I lower my risk of inherited health conditions?
Your inherited genes are less important than if you wear out your jeans with physical activity. ...
Is rosacea inherited?
Rosacea may be an inherited condition, although this has not been scientifically proven. It appears ...
How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?
The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to...