What is acoustic neurofibromatosis?

Acoustic neurofibromatosis is a genetic condition in which tumors form on the nerves of the inner ear and cause loss of hearing and balance. Tumors may also occur in the brain and on nerves in the skull and spinal cord, and may cause loss of speech, eye movement, and the ability to swallow. Also called neurofibromatosis type 2 and NF2.

This answer is based on source information from the U.S National Institutes of Health.  

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

The 4 Best Ways to Get Help for Hereditary Angioedema
If you’re living with hereditary angioedema, a condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling in the limbs, face, airways and digestive tract,...
Know Your Risk: Hereditary Angioedema
Know Your Risk: Hereditary Angioedema
Hereditary angioedema, also called HAE, is a rare genetic disorder that causes attacks of severe swelling. These attacks can occur anywhere in the bod...
What genetic disorders raise a child's risk of heart disease?
Ira A. Parness, MDIra A. Parness, MD
Some genetic disorders carry an increased risk of heart disease: Marfan syndrome. Connective tissu...
How can I lower my risk of inherited health conditions?
Your inherited genes are less important than if you wear out your jeans with physical activity. ...