What happens inside the cells of someone with chronic ASMD?

In chronic acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD), there is not enough of one particular enzyme called sphingomyelinase. Its job is to break down sphingomyelin, found in the body’s cells, especially in the lining of the cells. Without enough of the enzyme sphingomyelinase, sphingomyelin can’t be recycled, and it builds up inside the cells. As the sphingomyelin builds up, the cells swell up.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Symptoms
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
Warning Signs of a Hereditary Angioedema Attack
Hereditary angioedema, also called HAE, is a rare genetic disorder that affects an estimated 6,000 to 10,000 people in the United States. People who h...
Why should I know about genetic disorders in my family's history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
By taking into consideration personal and family medical histories, a physician can identify patient...
Why can it be so difficult to live with chronic ASMD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Living with chronic acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD) can be tough. It can be hard to keep up ...