What are the treatment options for neurofibromatosis?

There is no current treatment that can cure neurofibromatosis, but there are ways to manage your symptoms. Surgery to remove the tumors may provide relief, though tumors do sometimes regenerate. Additionally, radiation treatment can be used to shrink the tumors associated with neurofibromatosis.  Medications to treat neurofibromatosis are currently being studied to learn if they can help decrease symptoms.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

How Stress Affects Hereditary Angioedema
Also called HAE, hereditary angioedema is a genetic disorder that causes episodes of severe swelling. These episodes—also called HAE attacks or acute ...
The 4 Best Ways to Get Help for Hereditary Angioedema
If you’re living with hereditary angioedema, a condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling in the limbs, face, airways and digestive tract,...
Why should I know about genetic disorders in my family's history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
By taking into consideration personal and family medical histories, a physician can identify patient...
Can psoriasis be prevented?
Psoriasis cannot be prevented in susceptible people, often those with parents who had it, because it...