What symptoms can be caused by genetic disorders?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Because there are so many varied diseases that are considered genetic disorders, a common list of symptoms does not exist. However, due to patterns of inheritance, some people may have milder symptoms of disease than others, and some may not have symptoms at all.
If you have concerns about specific symptoms that could be related to a genetic disorder, contact your doctor. You can also find information on wWeb sites sponsored by the National Center for Biotechnology Information and the Genetic Alliance.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

What is the Treatment for Spinal Muscular Atrophy?
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is the name given to a collection of rare genetic disorders that affect motor neurons. Motor neurons are located in the ...
Why can't people with UCDs just stop eating protein to fix the problem?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If people with a urea cycle disorder (UCD) don’t eat any protein at all, it is just as bad as if the...
How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?
The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to...
What is a urea cycle disorder (UCD)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A urea cycle disorder (UCD) is a problem with how the liver handles protein. With a UCD, enzymes in ...