How do I manage my mitochondrial disease on a daily basis?

Learning how to manage your symptoms of mitochondrial disease, and possibly having someone to help you do so, will be essential to managing your disease on a daily basis. You may need to manage your diet as well as a vitamin regimen every day, and you may need to avoid getting overly hot or cold. You may need to ensure that particular stressors that bother you are managed, either by you or others. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, you may need help with daily tasks. Each person with mitochondrial disease responds to it differently, and each person's symptoms are different, so treatment plans may be individualized. Your doctor can help you and your family plan the best way to deal with your situation.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

How to Treat an Hereditary Angioedema Attack and Get Relief Fast
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a genetic condition that causes swelling, typically of the face, hands, feet, digestive tract or throat. About 1 of eve...
Choosing a College or University When You Have SMA
Decisions about education are challenging for everyone. But when you or a loved one is living with a condition like spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), dec...
What is osteochondrodysplasias?
Osteochondrodysplasias is a connective tissue disorder. Osteochondrodysplasias prevents bone growth ...
How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?
The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to...