Is there a cure for Fabry disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There is no cure for Fairy disease, but there are steps you can take to minimize its symptoms and slow its progress. The most helpful step is undergoing enzyme replacement therapy every other week.  Additionally, you can take medication to treat pain, protein in the urine, and decrease stroke risk. You can also adopt healthy dietary and lifestyle habits, including getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of water, and avoiding smoking. More extreme steps include dialysis and surgical procedures like heart or kidney transplants.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

What is Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome is a rare, overgrowth disorder in which babies are large at birth and ma...
How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?
The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to...
What are the benefits of genetic testing for the BRCA breast cancer genes?
Shelly WeissShelly Weiss
Benefits of genetic testing for the BRCA genes include clarifying personal and familial cancer risks...
What causes chronic acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The cause of chronic acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD) all comes back to the cells. The cells ...