How does neurofibromatosis affect the body?

Type 1 neurofibromatosis causes small, benign tumors (also known as neurofibromas) to grow on or under the sign. Sometimes, these lumps are nothing more than a nuisance, but sometimes neurofibromas can cause deformities. Neurofibromas located under the skin near bones, can cause the bone to grow in a deformed manner. Type 2 neurofibromatosis causes tumors to form throughout the body.  For example, they may form on the auditory nerve, in the ear. These tumors can cause hearing loss, a constant ringing in the ear, and difficulties with balance.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Coping with the Emotional Impact of SMA
Coping with the Emotional Impact of SMA
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is the name given to a collection of rare genetic disorders that cause muscles to weaken and atrophy. SMA is a lifelong...
5 Resources for People with Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a group of rare genetic disorders that interfere with the nervous system’s ability to send signals to muscles. This c...
What issues can ASMD cause in the bones and bone marrow?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD) can lead to swollen cells in the bones, which can make them ...
Why should I know about genetic disorders in my family's history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
By taking into consideration personal and family medical histories, a physician can identify patient...