How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to help Americans learn about their family health histories. This program is located on the web and contains a tool, My Family Health Portrait. The tool will help you collect and organization information that you can enter into a chart. The chart will give you a good picture of your family's health history, including any genetic disorders.  This chart can also be taken to your physician for review and referral to a genetic counselor as needed.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

5 Resources for People with Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a group of rare genetic disorders that interfere with the nervous system’s ability to send signals to muscles. This c...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...
What sort of foods can people with a urea cycle disorder (UCD) eat?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
People with a urea cycle disorder (UCD) should keep their diet low in protein and eat foods like fru...
Why should children with tuberous sclerosis (TSC) be evaluated for surgery?
Dr. Aria Fallah, MDDr. Aria Fallah, MD
Children with tuberous sclerosis (TSC) should be evaluated for surgery to try to cure seizures. Sixt...