How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?

The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to help Americans learn about their family health histories. This program is located on the web and contains a tool, My Family Health Portrait. The tool will help you collect and organization information that you can enter into a chart. The chart will give you a good picture of your family's health history, including any genetic disorders.  This chart can also be taken to your physician for review and referral to a genetic counselor as needed.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Mitochondrial Disease
If there’s one thing you remember from high school biology, it’s probably this: Mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cells. It stands to reason tha...
Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Treatments
In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, MD, discusses the two major treatment approaches for hereditary angioedema, treatments taken to stop attacks and...
What are the effects of Gilbert's syndrome?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
None, except it can result in stress and anxiety, unneeded testing, and is associated with medicatio...
When does mitochondrial disease appear?
Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine (FMM)Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine (FMM)
Mitochondrial disease can appear at any age. For some it appears at birth. For others it develops ov...