What should I know to care for someone with Fabry disease?

Caring for someone with Fairy disease includes both emotional and physical support. Since there is no known cure, someone with Fairy disease might become depressed at the thought of living with the symptoms for the rest of their life, so be sensitive to their feelings. Listen to their concerns, and provide encouragement. They will likely have to take medication daily and infusions every other week, so help them maintain their schedule. You can also help them live the sort of healthy lifestyle that can lessen the symptoms, including eating and sleeping well, drinking water, exercising in moderation, and avoiding smoking and sodium.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

How Stress Affects Hereditary Angioedema
Also called HAE, hereditary angioedema is a genetic disorder that causes episodes of severe swelling. These episodes—also called HAE attacks or acute ...
Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Symptoms
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...
What issues can ASMD cause in the bones and bone marrow?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD) can lead to swollen cells in the bones, which can make them ...