Does Fabry disease affect children differently than adults?

Fabry disease is a progressive condition in which symptoms worsen over time both in men and women.  Children with the disorder typically suffer from arm and leg pain, digestive issues, decreased sweating, overheating, and rashes. Without treatment, symptoms in adolescence and adulthood become worse and lead to strokes, heart disease, and kidney failure.  Early treatment with enzyme replacement therapy can help stop disease progression.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

How to Treat an Hereditary Angioedema Attack and Get Relief Fast
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a genetic condition that causes swelling, typically of the face, hands, feet, digestive tract or throat. About 1 of eve...
Warning Signs of a Hereditary Angioedema Attack
Hereditary angioedema, also called HAE, is a rare genetic disorder that affects an estimated 6,000 to 10,000 people in the United States. People who h...
What is the purpose of the Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine?
Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine (FMM)Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine (FMM)
The Foundation for Mitochondrial Medicine’s mission is to support the development of the most promis...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...