If someone in our family has a genetic disorder, will my children get it?

Predicting whether your child will get a genetic disorder that runs in the family can be difficult. The type of disorder, the genetic cause of the disease, and the condition's pattern of inheritance all affect your child's chances. Taking a detailed family medical history can help determine the pattern of inheritance for a particular disorder in your family.  Even after taking a family history, risk estimates for a disease can be complicated.  Genetic counselors can offer people help in getting the best information about a genetic disorder in your family.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

How to Treat an Hereditary Angioedema Attack and Get Relief Fast
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a genetic condition that causes swelling, typically of the face, hands, feet, digestive tract or throat. About 1 of eve...
Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Symptoms
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What are the main types of genetic disorders?
Genetic disorders can be grouped into three different categories. Single gene disorders result from ...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...