Can fragile X syndrome be prevented?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Fragile X syndrome is a genetic condition, so it cannot be prevented. However, people with fragile X in their families can undergo genetic testing to see if they carry the gene mutation and therefore have the possibility of passing it on to their children.
Although fragile X syndrome cannot be prevented, early intervention usually helps people with this condition achieve their highest potential in terms of cognition, behavior, and more.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Can I get genetic testing for hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT)?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
There are a few research centers in the United States that offer genetic testing for hereditary hemo...
What are the effects of Gilbert's syndrome?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
None, except it can result in stress and anxiety, unneeded testing, and is associated with medicatio...
How can I best tell if I'll inherit a genetic health problem?
If one of your family members has (or had) a serious medical problem, that doesn't automatically mea...
What is chronic acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Chronic acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD) is a genetic disease. Normally, the waste that the c...