Why is generalized anxiety disorder more common in women than in men?

While the cause and the reason why generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) -- uncontrollable and extreme worry about hypothetical situations on a daily basis -- affects women more than men is still to be determined, some researchers suspect that it may be a result of both biological and environmental factors. Some items that may be factors are the role hormones play, the effects of sexual, physical, and mental abuse, societal pressures of having children and being the primary family caregiver, and the simple fact that women are more apt to visit the doctor and report symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Continue Learning about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

What is the rate of incidence for generalized anxiety disorder?
Generalized anxiety disorder is a common disorder that affects twice as many women as men. In Americ...
How can I help a child with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Parents, and other adults in children’s lives, including teachers or childcare providers, play a vit...
How might my loved one's generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affect me?
The recovery process may take a toll on those caring for someone with GAD. Family and friends should...
Where can I find help for a loved one with generalized anxiety disorder?
First, recognize that generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a real and serious illness and not a cha...