Where can I find help for a loved one with generalized anxiety disorder?

First, recognize that generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a real and serious illness and not a character flaw or a sign of weakness. Scientific evidence shows that some people are genetically predisposed to anxiety disorders.

For those who have yet to be diagnosed–or are perhaps fearful of seeking professional help–supportive family members and friends can help them take the first step towards recovery. If you think that a family member or friend may have the disorder, there are many places you can refer him or her for diagnosis and treatment, including:
  • Family doctors
  • Mental health specialists, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, or mental health counselors
  • Religious leaders/counselors
  • Community mental health centers
  • Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics
  • University- or medical school-affiliated programs
  • Social service agencies
  • Private clinics and facilities
  • Employee assistance programs
  • Psychiatric professional associations
  • Consumer-based mental health organizations

Continue Learning about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.