What is the rate of incidence for generalized anxiety disorder?

While most people have experienced a bout of anxiety at some point, 5 to 11 percent of people experience general anxiety disorder during their lifetime. The disorder is defined as having significant anxiety symptoms on more days than not during a six-month period. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), women are more likely to have an anxiety disorder than men.

This content originally appeared online at Baptist Health South Florida.

https://baptisthealth.net/baptist-health-news/anxiety-heart-health/?cat=education

Generalized anxiety disorder is a common disorder that affects twice as many women as men. In America, it is estimated that 6.8 million adults have generalized anxiety disorder in any given year. This is slightly more than 3 percent of American adults.

Continue Learning about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

How might my loved one's generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affect me?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
The recovery process may take a toll on those caring for someone with GAD. Family and friends should...
Why is generalized anxiety disorder more common in women than in men?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
While the cause and the reason why generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) -- uncontrollable and extr...
Where can I find help for a loved one with generalized anxiety disorder?
First, recognize that generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a real and serious illness and not a cha...
How can I help a child with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?
Parents, and other adults in children’s lives, including teachers or childcare providers, play a vit...