Can I recover from generalized anxiety disorder without professional help?

If you have been given a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder, it is likely you have seen a medical professional who identified symptoms that are affecting your life. In this scenario it would be wise to talk to a counselor and perhaps discuss medications that may improve your symptoms.

Once the symptoms are controlled, you can work on strategies to deal with the anxiety and potentially get off medications and/or decrease the need for counseling help.
If you have an anxiety disorder, you cannot make yourself get better. Avoiding certain situations only makes you feel more helpless and anxious. Avoiding these situations is not the answer. There are treatments for anxiety disorders, including medication, therapy (or a combination of both), and many traditional healing methods which can reduce symptoms of anxiety.

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affects people of all ages, races, religions, and incomes worldwide. GAD is not a sign of weakness or a defect in character. People with GAD cannot get better simply by “pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.” GAD is as real as other medical conditions like cancer or diabetes, and can and should be treated. If you have GAD, overcome the stigma that is preventing treatment by learning the myths and facts about the disorder.

Continue Learning about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Why is generalized anxiety disorder more common in women than in men?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
While the cause and the reason why generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) -- uncontrollable and extr...
Is generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) a real illness?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
There are many myths about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The most widespread myth is that GAD ...
How might my loved one's generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affect me?
The recovery process may take a toll on those caring for someone with GAD. Family and friends should...
What is the rate of incidence for generalized anxiety disorder?
Generalized anxiety disorder is a common disorder that affects twice as many women as men. In Americ...