Can I recover from generalized anxiety disorder without professional help?

If you have been given a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder, it is likely you have seen a medical professional who identified symptoms that are affecting your life. In this scenario it would be wise to talk to a counselor and perhaps discuss medications that may improve your symptoms.

Once the symptoms are controlled, you can work on strategies to deal with the anxiety and potentially get off medications and/or decrease the need for counseling help.
If you have an anxiety disorder, you cannot make yourself get better. Avoiding certain situations only makes you feel more helpless and anxious. Avoiding these situations is not the answer. There are treatments for anxiety disorders, including medication, therapy (or a combination of both), and many traditional healing methods which can reduce symptoms of anxiety.

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affects people of all ages, races, religions, and incomes worldwide. GAD is not a sign of weakness or a defect in character. People with GAD cannot get better simply by “pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.” GAD is as real as other medical conditions like cancer or diabetes, and can and should be treated. If you have GAD, overcome the stigma that is preventing treatment by learning the myths and facts about the disorder.

Continue Learning about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

How can I help a loved one who has generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?
When caring for someone with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), remember to offer both emotional an...
Why is it important to support someone with generalized anxiety disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Those with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) need more than just therapy, medication, traditional h...
What is the rate of incidence for generalized anxiety disorder?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
While most people have experienced a bout of anxiety at some point, 5 to 11 percent of people experi...
Where can I find help for a loved one with generalized anxiety disorder?
First, recognize that generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a real and serious illness and not a cha...