Who can benefit from the DASH diet?

Marla  Heller, MS, RD
People who have high blood pressure or prehypertension would benefit from following the DASH diet. It was originally developed to help people lower their blood pressure without medication. And now the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend the DASH diet for everyone. Why? Because it is a great model for healthy eating. Rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat and nonfat dairy, along with whole grains, lean meats/fish/poultry, nuts/beans/seeds, and heart-healthy fats, this is a well-balanced eating plan. It has been shown to lower the risk for stroke, heart attacks, heart failure, some types of cancer, diabetes, and kidney stones. It is the most researched diet and well-grounded in healthy foods.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

The Quick-Fix Mediterranean Diet
The Quick-Fix Mediterranean Diet
Adding international flair to your diet could quickly lead to a healthier heart. After only 3 months of eating a Mediterranean diet, study participan...
How should I eat to balance my hormones for weight loss?
Jennifer Cohen KatzJennifer Cohen Katz
The most important thing to remember in order to better balance hormones for weight loss and relief ...
What is a successful weight-loss diet?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
Weight gain is generally caused by a sedentary lifestyle and an overconsumption of high-calorie food...
How The 21 Day Fix Works
How The 21 Day Fix Works