What should I eat when I'm on a weight-loss plan?

Judy Caplan

Anything that you have determined is on your plan! Having a plan is the first place to start. When you have a plan you know what to do that will lead to success. A registered dietitian (RD) can help you develop a plan that works for you. Individualizing a plan so that it fits your lifestyle is key. You have to look at issues like how often do you eat out? Do you hate to cook? What is ready to grab when you get home? Who does the shopping? Often figuring out these issues will make knowing what to eat for weight loss clear. The more you do to set up an environment that lets you be successful at fulfilling your goals, the better chance you have at long term weight loss and weight maintenance.

You want to eat foods with fiber, healthy fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), whole-grain carbohydrates, protein, as well as fruits and vegetables. Eat a little healthy fat before you meal (like one handful of nuts) to allow the satiety signal to go from your brain to your stomach, so you don't overeat during your meal.

Eat fiber in the morning to help control afternoon cravings. Staying hydrated is important, and remember to drink a glass or two of water before you eat. Your perception of hunger signals may actually be thirst signals.

Finally, eat anti-inflammatory foods to help counteract the effects of obesity, like green tea, omega-3 fatty acids (found in fish and walnuts), coffee, vegetables, and fruit.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...
Ruth Frechman

Simply said: Less than you are eating now. Eating less food will help you lose weight, but you also want to be healthy. For healthy weight loss, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. They are low in calories, high in nutrients, and filling. Follow the MyPlate guidelines. Eat a little protein. Eat a small amount of carbohydrate. Include a source of calcium and make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Eating the MyPlate way is a natural way to lose weight and be healthy.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

What are the health benefits of prepared meal diet plans?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine compared prepared-meal plans like Jenny Cra...
How should I choose foods when following the Traffic Light eating style?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When following the Traffic Light eating style, choose green-light foods daily or often. Green-ligh...
How can I make my diet healthier?
Recently, the rankings for America’s top diets were released. The medical team from "The Dr. Oz Show...
Is Injecting HCG for Dieting Safe?
Is Injecting HCG for Dieting Safe?