What are the risks of not following a low-fat diet?

If you are at risk for heart disease and do not follow the suggestions for a low-fat diet made by your healthcare provider, you may develop serious medical problems. Following are some of the risks of not following a low-fat diet:

• Atherosclerosis (a build-up of fat-like substances in blood vessels) may lead to blood clots and a heart attack. Your heart muscle may be damaged and cause disability or death.
  • High blood cholesterol puts you at a higher risk of heart attack and stroke.
  • Untreated high blood pressure may lead to a stroke (blood clot in the brain). It can also lead to a heart attack, or heart or kidney failure.
  • Obesity is linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. This includes cancer of the breast, colon or prostate in men. Other health problems linked to obesity include bone and joint problems, breathing problems and emotional suffering.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

Should You Do a Juice Cleanse?
Should You Do a Juice Cleanse?
Preparing for a beach vacation? Need to fit into last season's dress? Or just looking to lose a few pounds? Hopping on the juice cleanse train might b...
What types of alcohol can I drink if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
On cheat days while on a slow-carb diet, all is fair. Have a keg by yourself if the spirit moves you...
What foods can I eat on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
The most successful dieters on a slow-carb diet, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or ...
Are detox diets dangerous?
The practice of detoxifying the body to rid it of unhealthy toxins has been around for centuries...