What medical conditions does the DASH diet help?

The DASH diet is a recognized treatment of hypertension, heart disease and kidney disease, and can slow the progression of both heart disease and kidney disease.

All people with chronic kidney disease should be on a diet with less than 2,000 milligrams of sodium per day as recommended in the DASH diet. In addition, if you have kidney disease, you may need to modify the amount of potassium and phosphorus in the diet. This should be discussed with your doctor or your dietitian.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

What are the rules of a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
The following are the rules of a slow-carb diet: Rule #1: Avoid "white" carbohydrates (or anything t...
What should I eat when I'm on a weight-loss plan?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
What you eat should be what you like if you stay within the healthy food guidelines such as eating w...
Do fad diets work?
Some fads have included diets that dramatically restrict our food choices. With the cabbage-soup...
How Can Drinking Diet Soda Lead to Weight Gain?