What foods are included in the DASH diet?

There is no deprivation in DASH diet, but you need to choose the healthiest options from the food groups and use portion control. It's also crucial to the diet to recognize that treats have a place in your diet, but NOT on a daily basis.
Here's what you do you get to eat on the DASH diet:
  •  Fruits – 4 to 5 servings daily
  • Vegetables – 4 to 5 servings daily
  • Low-fat/non-fat dairy products – 1 to 3 servings daily
  • Whole grains – 3 servings daily (a serving is about 100 calories)
  • Refined grains – a few servings a week – these are treats
  • Healthy fats – 2 to 3 servings daily (a serving is about 45 calories)
  • Lean meat, poultry or fish – 7 ounces daily (red meat less frequently if at all)
  • Legumes, nuts and beans – 4 to 5 servings weekly (1/4 cup of nuts is a serving)
Marla  Heller, MS, RD

The DASH diet includes all the healthy food groups like whole grains, fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, lean meat, fish and poultry, eggs and seafood. Watch registered dietitian Marla Heller describe all the food you can eat on the DASH diet.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

The Quick-Fix Mediterranean Diet
The Quick-Fix Mediterranean Diet
Adding international flair to your diet could quickly lead to a healthier heart. After only 3 months of eating a Mediterranean diet, study participan...
What types of alcohol can I drink if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
On cheat days while on a slow-carb diet, all is fair. Have a keg by yourself if the spirit moves you...
How should I eat to balance my hormones for weight loss?
Jennifer Cohen KatzJennifer Cohen Katz
The most important thing to remember in order to better balance hormones for weight loss and relief ...
The Weight-Loss Breakthrough to Reset Your Diet