What foods are included in the DASH diet?

Marla  Heller, MS, RD

The DASH diet includes all the healthy food groups like whole grains, fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, lean meat, fish and poultry, eggs and seafood. Watch registered dietitian Marla Heller describe all the food you can eat on the DASH diet.

There is no deprivation in DASH diet, but you need to choose the healthiest options from the food groups and use portion control. It's also crucial to the diet to recognize that treats have a place in your diet, but NOT on a daily basis.
Here's what you do you get to eat on the DASH diet:
  •  Fruits – 4 to 5 servings daily
  • Vegetables – 4 to 5 servings daily
  • Low-fat/non-fat dairy products – 1 to 3 servings daily
  • Whole grains – 3 servings daily (a serving is about 100 calories)
  • Refined grains – a few servings a week – these are treats
  • Healthy fats – 2 to 3 servings daily (a serving is about 45 calories)
  • Lean meat, poultry or fish – 7 ounces daily (red meat less frequently if at all)
  • Legumes, nuts and beans – 4 to 5 servings weekly (1/4 cup of nuts is a serving)

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

Live Longer with This Diet
Live Longer with This Diet
Want to live a long, vigorous life? Consider eating more fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes. That’s right! A Mediterranean diet might be one w...
What time should I eat my meals if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
Adjust your meals to fit your schedule, but make sure to have your first meal within an hour of waki...
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach Diet
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach Diet
Get the high-protein and lower-carb secrets to losing up to 13 pounds in two weeks.
Do Internet Diets Really Work?
Do Internet Diets Really Work?