What is an example of a calorie-restricted diet?

A calorie-restricted diet must balance carbohydrates, proteins and fats by choosing foods packed with nutrients and not many calories.

Here is one daily diet a proponent uses:

• Breakfast: a homemade mega-muffin with about 30 ingredients including rice bran, psyllium husk (the active ingredient in Metamucil), brewer's yeast, raw wheat germ, strawberries and one carrot
  • Lunch: a roast beef sandwich without the bread, or a protein bar
  • Dinner: canned pink salmon, zucchini and broccoli
  • Dessert: fruit salad topped with whey protein

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

Try a Mediterranean Menu for Blood Sugar Control
We know that hearts "heart" a Mediterranean-style diet. But here's big news: so does your blood sugar. Yep. Mediterranean fare—rich in olive oil, veg...
When should I weigh myself before starting a diet if I am a woman?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
Women tend to retain much more water just before their periods. Be sure to take this into account wh...
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach Diet
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the South Beach Diet
Get the high-protein and lower-carb secrets to losing up to 13 pounds in two weeks.
What’s Inside the Isagenix 30-Day System