Q

Weight Loss Diets

What foods can I eat on a slow-carb diet?

• A , Fitness, answered
    The most successful dieters on a slow-carb diet, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat- loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. There are 47,000 products in the average U.S. grocery store, but only a handful of them won't make you fat.

Mix and match from the following list, constructing each meal with one pick from each of the three groups:

1. Proteins:
    • Egg whites with 1-2 whole eggs for flavor (or, if organic, 2-5 whole eggs, including yolks)
    • Chicken breast or thigh
    • Beef (preferably grass-fed)
    • Fish
    • Pork
    2. Legumes:
    • Lentils (also called "dal" or "daal")
    • Black beans
    • Pinto beans
    • Red beans
    • Soybeans
    3. Vegetables:
    • Spinach
    • Mixed vegetables (including broccoli, cauliflower, or any other cruciferous vegetables)
    • Asparagus
    • Peas
    • Broccoli
    • Green beans
    Eat as much as you like of the above food items, but keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries, potatoes, or rice.

Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food (after swapping out rice for vegetables) to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the Slow-Carb Diet. If you have to pay an extra $1-3 to substitute at a restaurant, consider it your six-pack tax, the nominal fee you pay to be lean.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Does one diet plan fit all?