What is the DASH eating plan?

The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet is a healthy, well balanced diet that is low in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and sweets and high in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and low- fat dairy products. Studies have soon that this diet can help lower your blood pressure. Following the DASH Diet along with watching the sodium in your diet, is the best combination for fighting high blood pressure.

Picture of DASH food
The DASH eating plan is rich in fruits, vegetables, fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products, whole grains, fish, poultry, beans, seeds, and nuts. It also contains less salt and sodium; sweets, added sugars, and sugar-containing beverages; fats; and red meats than the typical American diet. This heart healthy way of eating is also lower in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol and rich in nutrients that are associated with lowering blood pressure—mainly potassium, magnesium, and calcium, protein, and fiber.
This answer is base on source information from  the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

What are signs of a fad diet?
There is a plethora of popularized diet plans competing for your attention and claiming in various...
How can I tell if a fad diet is unhealthy?
The Food and Nutrition Science Alliance gives good advice on how to spot a bad diet fad: If it s...
What is the feeding tube diet for weight loss?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
Formally known as the “K-E diet,” originally developed in Italy and currently offered in a Flori...
When should I weigh myself before starting a diet if I am a woman?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
Women tend to retain much more water just before their periods. Be sure to take this into account wh...