How can I tell if a low-carbohydrate diet is best suited for my DNA?

A low-carbohydrate diet may be best for your DNA if you have:

• Weight around your midsection

• High blood pressure

• High triglycerides

If your waist is greater than 35 inches, you're at risk for heart disease, gall bladder disease, and diabetes. You may be insulin resistant, which means you have difficulty processing sugar. By losing 10% of your body weight, you can also lower your blood pressure. Choose lean healthy proteins and limit the amount of carbs, especially refined white foods like starchy potatoes and bread.

For a low-carb diet, consume between 20-60 grams of carbs a day.  

Portion breakdown is:

• 30% carbs

• 40% fat

• 30% protein

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

The South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet
Weight loss diets abound. So do the reasons most people say the diets don't work. Usually it's because they are too complicated, don't provide enough ...
What should I eat when I'm on a weight-loss plan?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
What you eat should be what you like if you stay within the healthy food guidelines such as eating w...
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Flexitarian Diet
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Flexitarian DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Flexitarian DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Flexitarian DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Flexitarian Diet
The top 13 takeaways from this plant-based eating plan.
How Can Drinking Diet Soda Lead to Weight Gain?