How are sweets included in the DASH diet?

The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet, which was actually formulated to help people with high blood pressure, has turned out to allow the dieter a broad range of healthy and tasty foods. It also allows for treats, meaning minimal deprivation. So in daily life and even during the holiday season, you can eat with reasonable gusto, while still maintaining your health and your weight. The DASH diet has also been credited with helping to reduce the risk of stroke, heart disease, kidney disease and colon cancer, as well as helping to control blood sugar spikes.
Marla  Heller, MS, RD
Fruits are a wonderful way to bring sweetness to your DASH meals. They are rich in the key nutrients that bring the DASH health benefits, including potassium, fiber, and antioxidants. And they are bulky and filling, which helps you feel full with less calories. I also enjoy light yogurts as another way to add healthy sweets to my DASH eating habits. Extra sweets are something to be enjoyed a few times a week or less. Focusing on real, whole foods brings a freshness to your meals, and makes it so easy to enjoy a variety of flavors while becoming healthier.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

Try a Mediterranean Menu for Blood Sugar Control
We know that hearts "heart" a Mediterranean-style diet. But here's big news: so does your blood sugar. Yep. Mediterranean fare—rich in olive oil, veg...
What time should I eat my meals if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
Adjust your meals to fit your schedule, but make sure to have your first meal within an hour of waki...
What are the health benefits of prepared meal diet plans?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine compared prepared-meal plans like Jenny Cra...
How The 21 Day Fix Works
How The 21 Day Fix Works