How can the Mediterranean diet reduce my risk of type 2 diabetes?

You could be a whopping 83 percent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes with this menu choice: Mediterranean fare.

What's Mediterranean fare, you ask? Why, any dish that emphasizes fish, olive oil, legumes, whole grains, fruit, nuts or vegetables and minimizes full-fat dairy and red meat. Simple, right?

A new study not only revealed the dramatic risk-reduction benefit of Mediterranean dining but also hinted at some of the potential magic at work. Researchers suspect that the olive-oil-centric cooking methods used in Mediterranean fare are a big key, helping protect against insulin resistance as well as metabolic syndrome -- both precursors to diabetes.

Because it tends to have more fruit and vegetables than other cuisines, a Mediterranean diet is also rich in nutrients that combat inflammation and promote better blood vessel function. And, best of all, sticking to a Mediterranean eating plan is easy because the food tends to be both tasty and satisfying.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

Live Longer with This Diet
Live Longer with This Diet
Want to live a long, vigorous life? Consider eating more fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes. That’s right! A Mediterranean diet might be one w...
Why should I avoid dairy products if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
It's true that milk has a low glycemic index (GI) and a low glycemic load (GL). For the latter, whol...
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the MIND Diet
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the MIND DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the MIND DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the MIND DietEverything You Ever Wanted to Know About the MIND Diet
It's easy to follow and may help protect your body from disease.
Two Women Open Up About Their Diet Experiences