How do carbohydrates relate to the Atkin's diet?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The Atkin's diet involves eating low amounts of carbohydrates in order to lose weight. Individuals who follow the Atkin's diet typically eat about half of the recommended serving of carbohydrates and instead emphasize good proteins and fats. The Atkin's diet has four phases. In the first phase you cut out almost all carbohydrates, making them about 10 percent of your daily intake for two weeks. The next phase involves introducing good carbohydrates back into your diet like vegetables, fruits and nuts. Phase three focuses on slowing down weight loss and adding more carbohydrates, while phase four involves lifetime maintenance of your weight loss through healthy carbohydrate intake. While low carbohydrate diets are beneficial, studies show they usually result in regaining of the weight you lost since it was lost so quickly and in an unconventional manner. To avoid gaining back the weight, traditional studies show you should lose about one to two pounds a week on average by simple calorie limitations.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

What time should I eat my meals if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
Adjust your meals to fit your schedule, but make sure to have your first meal within an hour of waki...
Why should I avoid dairy products if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
It's true that milk has a low glycemic index (GI) and a low glycemic load (GL). For the latter, whol...
What is the Ornish diet?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
The Ornish diet is a low-fat, vegetarian diet with an emphasis on the inclusion of whole grains, bea...
Has Dieting Reduced Obesity in the Overall Population?