Can a Mediterranean diet protect my brain as I age?

The Mediterranean diet may help protect your brain as you age. The typical Mediterranean diet cuts out the excess red meats and junk foods often found in the typical American diet. Studies have shown that there may be decreased small vessel disease in people who follow the Mediterranean diet. This may be secondary to a lowering of cholesterol, a lower blood pressure and lower incidences of diabetes. All three of these factors can independently lead to atherosclerosis in the small vessels of the brain, leading to decreased cognitive function.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Diets

The South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet
Weight loss diets abound. So do the reasons most people say the diets don't work. Usually it's because they are too complicated, don't provide enough ...
How can I tell if a fad diet is unhealthy?
The Food and Nutrition Science Alliance gives good advice on how to spot a bad diet fad: If it s...
Is the HCG diet safe and effective?
Doreen RodoDoreen Rodo
Any diet that limits your calories to 500 per day is not safe or effective. It would be difficult to...
What are some meals I can eat on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
Here are some of my slow-carb meals that recur again and again: Breakfast (home): Scrambled Eggology...