What increases my risk for GI bleeding?

The main risk factor for GI bleeding is older age—but remember, GI bleeding is usually a sign of another condition, and having that condition is what raises your risk. Common problems like hemorrhoids, peptic ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). gastritis (possibly caused by overuse of alcohol and/or NSAID pain relievers), anal fissures, colitis, and diverticular disease are all associated with gastrointestinal bleeding. Other conditions that made lead to it are ulcerative colitis, benign tumors, polyps, or cancer in the digestive tract, esophageal varices, or angiodysplasia (abnormal blood vessels in the digestive tract). Colorectal cancer and hemorrhoids are the most common causes of GI bleeding in older people. You can't always tell the origin of the bleeding from its symptoms; rectal bleeding, for example, may come from the upper or lower gastrointestinal tract. It is a good idea to consult a doctor for evaluation, as some causes of GI bleeding can be quite serious.

Continue Learning about GI Bleeding

Is GI bleeding serious?
GI bleeding can be very frightening when it is found in your feces, mucus, or vomit. However, th...
How do I manage my GI bleeding on a daily basis?
You can manage your GI bleeding on a daily basis by following the indications of your doctor regardi...
How do medications treat GI bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
There are no medications prescribed for GI bleeding. Most times, your doctor will prescribe intraven...
Does alcohol cause GI bleeding?
Manuel E. Rodriguez, MDManuel E. Rodriguez, MD
Learn how consuming alcohol, especially in excess, can irritate and damage the GI tract. Watch this ...