Should I talk to my doctor about my GI bleeding symptoms?

All GI bleeding should be discussed with a physician, particularly a gastroenterologist. Bleeding always occurs from some pathology, whether it’s as innocuous as hemorrhoids or as harmful as an ulcer or even cancer. Self-diagnosis is risky, as cancer or inflammatory bowel disease can be mistaken for benign hemorrhoids. Endoscopic evaluations (colonoscopy or upper endoscopy) are the main tests to find the cause of GI bleeding and ensure the etiology is benign. 

A black, tarry, and malodorous bowel movement is indicative of a bleeding source from the upper GI tract (esophagus, stomach, and small intestine). Ulcers and various other defects are easily found on upper endoscopy (EGD), and bleeding can be treated at the time of the EGD with various techniques -- injecting medications into the area, clipping a defect closed, ablating a high risk spot with heat, or putting rubber bands around swollen blood vessels. On the contrary, bright red blood often occurs from the lower GI tract, like from inflammation of the colon, hemorrhoids, or tumors. Finally, bleeding can also occur in a very slow fashion where there is no obvious blood loss seen in your stool, but yet your blood counts slowly decrease over time; occult bleeding is what unfortunately occurs frequently with tumors in early stages making preventative screening so important.   

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of GI bleeding including blood in your stool or vomit, you should speak with your doctor right away. GI bleeding can be a sign of ulcers or a more serious underlying condition. As with any appointment, be sure to discuss with your doctor the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications associated with GI bleeding.

Continue Learning about GI Bleeding

How do other illnesses affect GI bleeding?
The underlying conditions for GI bleeding can be even more serious than the actual illness. This is ...
How do I manage my GI bleeding on a daily basis?
You can manage your GI bleeding on a daily basis by following the indications of your doctor regardi...
How is GI bleeding treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Immediate treatment of the GI bleeding includes intravenous fluids to replace those lost during blee...
What increases my risk for GI bleeding?
There are many different risk factors for GI bleeding. Most times, GI bleeding is found in those of ...