How is GI bleeding treated?

Immediate treatment of the GI bleeding includes intravenous fluids to replace those lost during bleeding, opening of the airways, and blood transfusions. However, this only treats the immediate bleeding and not the underlying problem. Treatments for the underlying issues associated with GI bleeding differ depending on the issue.

GI bleeding is first treated by stabilizing and possibly transfusing the patient.

Continue Learning about GI Bleeding

Does GI bleeding affect children differently than adults?
Anyone can develop GI bleeding. However, this condition is mostly found in the elderly. Some think t...
What increases my risk for GI bleeding?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The main risk factor for GI bleeding is older age—but remember, GI bleeding is usually a sign of ano...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with GI bleeding?
You can care for someone with GI bleeding by following the indications of their doctor regarding tre...
Does alcohol cause GI bleeding?
Manuel E. Rodriguez, MDManuel E. Rodriguez, MD
Learn how consuming alcohol, especially in excess, can irritate and damage the GI tract. Watch this ...