How do surgeries treat biliary atresia?

The most common surgery used to treat biliary atresia is the Kasai procedure. This surgery completely removes the defective bile ducts from the newborn's liver and attaches a segment of the intestinal tract instead. This is meant to allow bile to drain properly from the liver, mitigating the risk of further jaundice or eventual cirrhosis. The Kasai procedure works best before the child is three months old and without this surgery an affected child is unlikely to live beyond two years of age.

While the Kasai procedure can achieve success, if the surgery does not bring the outcome it needs to, the child will eventually need a liver transplant. This would need to be done in the first two years of life to have the best chance of success. Many newborns with biliary atresia can live to adulthood with a liver transplant.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Tract Birth Defects

What is congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Congenital diaphragmatic hernia, or CDH, is one of the most common birth defects, affecting about on...
More Answers
How is a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) repaired surgically?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
A congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) is most commonly repaired through the abdomen using an incis...
More Answers
What is gastroschisis?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Gastroschisis is a birth defect of the abdominal (belly) wall. The baby’s intestines stick outside o...
More Answers
What is atresia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Atresia is a complication that occurs in an estimated 10 to 15 percent of gastroschisis cases.With a...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.