What are the types of abdominal cancers in children?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Abdominal cancers are rarely seen in children; they are generally considered part of a group known as unusual cancers of childhood (the most common childhood cancers include leukemia, lymphomas and cancers of t he brain and central nervous system). Even children's hospitals seldom see more than a few unusual cancers of childhood each year. The types of abdominal cancers in children are:

• Cancer of the adrenal cortex
  • Cancer of the stomach
  • Cancer of the pancreas
  • Colorectal cancer
  • Carcinoid tumors
  • Gastrointestinal stromal tumors

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Can early detection of colorectal cancer increase my chance of survival?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Most colorectal cancers develop from polyps. Detecting polyps early and removing them can prevent ca...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with carcinoid syndrome?
If you are taking care of someone with carcinoid syndrome, you should, first and foremost, make sure...
What is a total gastrectomy for stomach cancer?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A total gastrectomy for stomach cancer is when the entire stomach is removed in order to remove the ...
How common is gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer?
Stomach cancer strikes about one million people each year. It is especially common in other parts of...