What are the treatment options for appendix cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The treatment plan for appendix cancer relies largely on the type of cancer and spread of the tumors. For small tumors, someone with appendix cancer will have their appendix and possibly the right part of their colon removed. If the tumors have spread into the abdominal cavity, they will receive chemotherapy to that region - a treatment called hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. For this to work, a person must first undergo a treatment to remove the tumors in the abdomen through cytoreductive surgery. These treatments have not undergone clinical trials or much research due to the rare nature of appendix cancer. The survival rate of these treatments is correlated to the size of the tumor.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common that a diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer may both frighten and upset your family. How...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose carcinoid cancer?
The first thing you should know when you go to an appointment to diagnose carcinoid cancer is that y...
What is Biliary cancer?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
There are two primary types of Biliary (Hepatobiliary) cancer: hepatocellular carcinoma, which refer...
Is carcinoid syndrome serious?
Carcinoid tumors are very slow-growing tumors, from which you may have no real symptoms for a long t...