What are the treatment options for appendix cancer?

The treatment plan for appendix cancer relies largely on the type of cancer and spread of the tumors. For small tumors, someone with appendix cancer will have their appendix and possibly the right part of their colon removed. If the tumors have spread into the abdominal cavity, they will receive chemotherapy to that region - a treatment called hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. For this to work, a person must first undergo a treatment to remove the tumors in the abdomen through cytoreductive surgery. These treatments have not undergone clinical trials or much research due to the rare nature of appendix cancer. The survival rate of these treatments is correlated to the size of the tumor.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Surprising Ways Aspirin Protects Against Gastrointestinal Cancer
In addition to introducing Emily Wickersham as the future Agent Bishop, the broadcast of the NCIS episode, Gut Check, challenged the team’s newest ass...
Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
What are the symptoms of gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
Many times, gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer does not cause symptoms until it is fairly advan...
How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
It is important to determine from each family member how much they would like to know about your dia...