What is a partial gastrectomy for stomach cancer?

Surgery for stomach cancer offers the best possibility for a cure. In a partial or subtotal gastrectomy, the surgeon removes the part of the stomach that contains cancer. The surgeon attaches the remaining part of the stomach to the intestine. Nearby lymph nodes and other tissues may be removed.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...
What is familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Familial adenomatous polyposis is caused by changes (mutations) in the APC gene that a person inheri...
Is carcinoid syndrome serious?
Carcinoid tumors are very slow-growing tumors, from which you may have no real symptoms for a long t...
What should I eat after gallbladder surgery?
Oak Hill HospitalOak Hill Hospital
People who have had gallbladder surgery should eat a low-fat diet for about two weeks afterward.