What is a partial gastrectomy for stomach cancer?

Surgery for stomach cancer offers the best possibility for a cure. In a partial or subtotal gastrectomy, the surgeon removes the part of the stomach that contains cancer. The surgeon attaches the remaining part of the stomach to the intestine. Nearby lymph nodes and other tissues may be removed.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
Foods That Can Reduce Your Risk of Stomach Cancer
Several foods can reduce your risk of stomach cancer, according to Dr. Neal Bernard and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Learn more in this video. Medically reviewed i...
What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...
What types of cancer can start in the colon and rectum?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Several types of cancer can start in the colon or rectum: 1. Adenocarcinomas: More than 95% of colo...