What is familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)?

Familial adenomatous polyposis is caused by changes (mutations) in the APC gene that a person inherits from his or her parents. About 1 percent of all colorectal cancers are due to FAP.

People with this disease typically develop hundreds or thousands of polyps in their colon and rectum, usually in their teens or early adulthood. Cancer usually develops in 1 or more of these polyps as early as age 20. By age 40, almost all people with this disorder will have developed cancer if preventive surgery (removing the colon) is not done.

FAP is sometimes associated with Gardner syndrome, a condition that also involves benign (non-cancerous) tumors of the skin, soft connective tissue and bones.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
Early detection is vital to successfully treating stomach cancer. Here, gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains the symptoms to look out for a...
What tests are used to detect colorectal cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
We may detect colorectal cancer by one of the following tests, as recommended by the American Cancer...
What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...