What happens during endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)?

Practices vary among doctors, but for an endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract, some endoscopists spray your throat with a local anesthetic before the test begins. Most often you will receive sedatives intravenously to help you relax. You will most likely begin by lying on your left side.

After you receive sedatives, your endoscopist will pass the ultrasound endoscope through your mouth, esophagus and stomach into the duodenum. The instrument does not interfere with your ability to breathe. The actual examination generally takes less than 60 minutes. Many do not recall the procedure. Most patients consider it only slightly uncomfortable, and many fall asleep during the procedure. 

An EUS examination of the lower gastrointestinal tract can often be performed safely and comfortably without medications, but you'll receive a sedative if the examination will be prolonged or if the doctor will examine a significant distance into the colon. You will start by lying on your left side with your back toward the doctor. Most EUS examinations of the rectum generally take less than 45 minutes. You should know that if a needle biopsy of a lesion or drainage of a cyst is performed during the EUS, then the procedure will be longer and may take up to two hours.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Colorectal Cancer Screenings Should Start at 45, Says American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society (ACS) has updated its guidelines for colorectal cancer screening to recommend that adults at average risk should begin scr...
Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...
How is gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer diagnosed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
Gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer is usually diagnosed by EGD). In this procedure, you receive...